Saturday, July 21, 2012

Applications, Applications and Waiting

Today, let's talk about the application process.

Applying to Kyodai (Kyoto University) was painful. Not because the application was particularly hard. All I had to do was fill out some basic information, have a medical exam and evaluate my Japanese and English abilities.

What was difficult was sending out my application in March and not hearing anything until July.

I guess I was at a disadvantage straight out, on my degree course nearly 20 people are going to other universities. Constantly I heard about other people receiving their acceptances when I had applied before them and still hadn't heard anything.

It got to the stage where I was concerned I had not made it into their exchange program.

That's the thing about these exchange programs, especially when they are an obligatory part of your course. It appears as though acceptance is guaranteed but no one ever actually says that. So not hearing anything made me think I was the first in the history of ever to be rejected.

Yeah, I'm that overly worried, paranoid person.


Once I finally received my acceptance letter, it was much the same thing again. Plus a housing form which was rather basic. You don't get to choose a preferred dorm (which is kind of annoying). They choose for you depending on where you will spend the amount of time.

Accommodation at Kyodai is very cheap. Especially compared to some of the other universities in Kyoto and there isn't much difference in price between the dorms. From the pictures I've seen, they do look quite basic but I don't think that's a bad thing. Maybe a little boring.

The deadline for sending the second set of forms is rather narrow (like the first one but I didn't have my sensei keeping me right with deadlines!). I received the forms on the 11th of July and they were due on the 20th. But I sent them an email and they were very understanding.

Another small issue is that when they will be sending you the Certificate of Eligibility in early September which is slightly frustrating if you want to fly to Japan early like I do.

But the forms are simple and all you really need to send is a copy of your passport, some small pictures of yourself and the filled-out forms.

Unlike other universities such as ICU and Ritsumeikan, Kyodai do not ask for financial statements or proof that your parents have 9999999999. And you don't need to get a chest x-ray unlike Seikei and Rits. And no need to write anything detailed in Japanese unlike Rits...

You do need to write something in english just explaining why you want to go to Kyodai, how you think the exchange will benefit your Japanese language skills and how multicultural experience have helped you in the past.


I found the application process long more than anything else. I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly frustrated at how long it took them to get back to me especially considering I had no time frame. Kyodai themselves say that acceptances would be sent out on a “case by case” basis.

So! If you are applying to Kyodai, you need to be much more patient than I was!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment